First Plymouth Congregational Church has an active Outreach Ministry reaching out to the greater community and educating the congregation in ways to help others. The Outreach Ministry receives nominations for the “Share-the-Plate” program from parishioners and the wider community. Each Sunday the worship service hosts a “Moment for Mission” segment where a representative of the recipient organization speaks to the needs and successes of their organization. 80% of the funds collected during the service for “Share-the-Plate” flow through the church to the organization. The remaining 20% is retained in the Outreach Ministry fund for future educational programs and other outreach purposes.
Share-the-Plate with Habitat through Loaves & Fishes this October
Mission: Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities, and hope.
Vision: A world where everyone has a decent place to live.
People in our community and all over the world partner with Habitat for Humanity to build or improve a place they can call home. Habitat homeowners help build their own homes alongside volunteers, and they pay an affordable mortgage. With your help, Habitat homeowners achieve the strength, stability, and independence they need to build a better life for themselves and their families.
The Loaves & Fishes Committee is First Plymouth’s outreach link to Habitat for Humanity of Metro Denver, through the Loaves & Fishes coalition of eleven churches in the Denver area. Together, we have built twenty-one houses since 1999, and with your help, we can continue to sponsor and help build homes for deserving members of our community. But we can only do it with your help, so here are two ways you can support Habitat’s mission and vision:
- GIVE – There are multiple ways for you to support Loaves & Fishes with your contributions.
- Give generously during the October Share the Plate for Loaves & Fishes.
- Make a direct contribution by writing a check made payable to First Plymouth and marked for Loaves & Fishes in the memo line.
- Go to org/donate, making sure that “Loaves and Fishes” is noted in the comment section.
- VOLUNTEER — You can volunteer to help construct our twenty-first house in the Swansea development at 4344 Columbine Street, near I-70 and Colorado Boulevard in Denver. No experience is necessary, and there is always something for everyone to do, regardless of your skill levels and physical abilities.
- Go to loavesandfishes-denver.denver.volunteerhub.com to create an account, if you have not volunteered before.
- Then sign in and look for dates and pick the one(s) on which you would like to work. The workday is 9:00A to 4:30P, and you should plan on arriving on site by at least 8:50A.
The current Loaves & Fishes home build (21st) is at 4344 Columbine Street. Come out and help us finish it!
Some of the Former Recipients:
A Little Help
The Action Center
Audubon Society of Greater Denver
Casa de Paz
Colfax Community Network
Denver Inner City Parish
Denver Police Brotherhood Association
Friends of Man
Friends of The Haven
GraceFull Community Cafe
Loaves and Fishes
Mosquito Range Heritage Initiative
New Foundations: Alternatives to Violence
Reach Out And Read Colorado
Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network (RMIAN)
Rocky Mountain Stroke Center
Second Chance Center
The Urban Leadership Foundation of Colorado