Open and Affirming
Open and Affirming
First Plymouth is an “Open and Affirming Church,” meaning we make a public covenant of welcoming people of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions into the full life of the church. In the 21st century, the LGBTQIA+ community faces new challenges. LGBTQIA+ youth still face the threat of bullying and suicide in communities across America. Transgender citizens are still denied basic civil rights. Powerful and well-financed groups are mobilizing to enact new legislation to grant broad “religious exemptions” against discrimination in employment, housing, and public services.
First Plymouth is committed to inclusion and justice in the United Church of Christ and beyond. Our work continues as we welcome LGBTQIA+ seekers and their families. ONA activities include the annual PrideFest parade and educational presentations.
How FPCC Supports LGBTQ+ Community
First Plymouth Congregational Church (FPCC) has taken a proactive and comprehensive approach to support the LGBTQ+ community, including:
- FPCC Participates in Pride Parades: We actively join in pride parades to demonstrate our support and solidarity for the LGBTQ+ community.
- We Support LGBTQ+ Youth: We provide a supportive and safe environment for our youth who identify as gay, bisexual, or gender fluid.
- We Support Gay Families: We extend our love and support to families with gay members, acknowledging and respecting their identities.
- FPCC Conducts Sex Education: We run sex education sessions that discuss different sexual orientations and gender identities.
- We Hold Community Education Sessions: This helps foster understanding among adults in our community and allows our youth to share their experiences of being gay.
- FPCC Encourage Open Conversations: We facilitate open dialogues about how we can improve as allies for the LGBTQ+ community.
- We Promote Mental Health Inclusivity: We have a WISE group and regularly address mental health issues to destigmatize them. This inclusivity likely extends to LGBTQ+ individuals who disproportionately experience mental health challenges.
- We Foster Diversity and Inclusion: We invite people from diverse backgrounds to share their experiences, like the session where two Black women shared what it’s like to be black in a white culture. This shows our commitment to creating an inclusive environment for all.
The church’s efforts extend beyond mere acceptance, as it actively advocates for diversity, inclusion, and understanding. Through these actions, FPCC stands as a beacon of love, acceptance, and allyship for the LGBTQ+ community.